Associate in Arts (AA)
Degree: Associate in Arts
Major: Associate in Arts
Minimum Credits Required for Graduation: 60
The Associate in Arts (AA) college transfer degree program prepares students to transfer to a four-year college or university to earn a baccalaureate degree in such areas as education, English, pre-law, history, business administration, psychology, or social work. With the help of an academic advisor, the student will plan a program of study to meet the requirements of the college to which the student wishes to transfer based on the program guidelines below.
TCL offers a variety of AA transfer blocks, including:
- Associate in Arts Transfer Degree
- Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Transfer Degree
- General Education and Business Transfer Degree
- Early Childhood, Elementary and Special Education Transfer Degree
There are additional AA transfer options. Students should discuss which is right for their educational goals with their TCL academic advisor as well as with the four-year institution to which they plan to transfer.
Students applying to the Associate in Arts (AA) degree program must supply the following documentation before registering for courses:
- An official copy of high school transcripts or Graduation Equivalency Diploma (GED) transcripts. A certificate of completion will not be accepted as a substitute for a high school diploma or GED.
- All candidates for the AA degree must take the COMPASS/ASSET placement evaluation unless they have official college transcripts with a “C” or better in College Algebra (MAT 110 ) and English Composition I (ENG 101 ), or have qualifying SAT/ACT scores.
- Official transcripts must be sent from the issuing college/school directly to the Admissions Office at TCL via the mail.
- A copy of the high school or GED transcripts, COMPASS/ASSET placement evaluation, SAT and/or ACT scores, and/or college transcript must be at the TCL Admissions Office before a student can register.
- Students lacking these requirements may register as career development students and will not be admitted into the AA program until all requirements are met.
Courses listed with a single asterisk (*) are not articulated by the SC CHE and may not transfer into some programs at some four-year colleges and universities. Both the articulated and non-articulated courses may transfer as discipline-specific and /or as fulfilling general education requirement; or they may be accepted only as elective course, depending on the student’s program of study.
Student’s are responsible for checking with the specific college or university to which they plan to transfer (and preferably with their target program within that institution) to determine the transferability of any course.
Required Major (15-17 credit hours)
Select 15 credits from the transfer list from the following areas:
Anthropology, Art, English, Geography, History, Economics, Music, Psychology, Philosophy, Sociology, Speech, Theatre or and Foreign Language.